Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Return

It's been painfully long since I updated. I actually haven't been making much but I now have spousal permission to start up again. I've been a taiko drummer for a while now, and I've been wanting to introduce some new drum types into my group's repertoire. I've started with some smaller drums called tsukeshime daiko more commonly referred to as just "shime" (pronounced something along the lines of "she-may") All the materials have been purchased and the ball is rolling (or is that drum rolling?) The body is a cylinder ten inches tall by ten in diameter made out of staves. The heads are stretched over metal rings fourteen inches in diameter and then held on with ropes which can be tightened to tune the pitch. I laid out the body to check my math, first. It'll look something like this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment