Monday, August 17, 2009

All Sorts Of Stuff

Well, I got a little ahead of myself and did some things and forgot to take photos. I'm going to try and go back a little bit and explain what I did to catch everyone up to date. (all four of you ;)



I made a bridge out of ebony. I was considering making one out of a number of other types of wood and I even purchased a pre-made one of rosewood, but ultimately I wasn't happy with any of them. Ebony just seemed to complement the finger board and balance out the aesthetic.




The tuning machines finally arrived so I could measure them and drill the holes in the headstock. Despite carefully measuring, drilling guide holes first and using the utmost care drilling, the tuning machine holes still look uneven. Bummer. I keep trying to remind myself that this is my first one and that I'll get better with practice.




I felt like the guitar was a little on the boring side in general, visually speaking. I got some water based stain, took the hinges and latch off and gave the whole thing two coats. Though the stain was fairly subtle it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It makes the wood seem a little richer without being too dark

As you may recall from a previous post I cut the notches in the body for the neck too large. I decided to make some trim pieces that would fit tight around the neck and cover up the gaps left in the body. After going through a bunch of different design possibilities I decided to go with simple squares with rounded corners. I felt they went best with the simple square round cornered box of the guitar body. I cut them out of quarter inch red oak. I had some scrap laying around. For whatever reason I found getting them right exceedingly difficult and I made five of them to get the two successful ones I finally glued to the top of the body.

Finally, now that it's been stained and everything that will receive urethane has been glued in place, I masked off where the bridge and fingerboard will cross onto the body and give the whole thing six coats of urethane, sanding in between. The surface isn't as mirror smooth as I might have liked but I'm still pretty happy with how the surface feels and I'm quite sure it's sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment