Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Uh Oh


So, I started to work on the finger board. I have this awesome piece of ebony. I think the difference in color between the nearly black fingerboard and the pale colored white oak of the neck will create a very attractive contrast. I carefully measured out the taper from headstock to body and drew it on the piece of ebony with a white pencil, measured the length, etc, and got out the ole Japanese saw and started to cut it down to size. I was about five inches from done when . . .well, you can see in the photo. There were some natural imperfections in the piece of wood and I guess I sawed off the area that made it structurally sound. I'm going to try to glue the shard back in and seal the split that goes up the body of the fingerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment