Saturday, August 8, 2009

Getting Started


So, first thing I did was decide what scale length I was going to make the guitar. Scale length is the effective vibrating length of the string, basically the distance from the nut, what supports the strings up on the neck, and the saddle, what supports the strings on the soundboard down on the body of the guitar. If I'm honest, and I guess there's no point in not being so, I don't know that much about guitars. When it doubt, go with what you know. In my case, that's classical guitars. They all have a scale length of 26 inches, so that's what I decided to go with. Now that that's been decided I can start to work on the neck. I angle cut the white oak at a length giving me plenty of extra should I make a mistake, flipped one side of the wood over and glued them back together to create an angled head stock. Then I ripped the neck down so it's tapered and rounded out the corners where the headstock meets the neck. Here's the neck roughed in.

(sorry for the lousy photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment