Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wouldja Lookit That!


It's done! I carefully constructed a new bridge with a separate saddle so that I could move the saddle to compensate for how the fingerboard, and consequently the nut, shifted when I glued it on. I based the bridge design on my classical guitar's and I was very happy with how it turned out. I glued it on, waited overnight, then put the strings on so I could slip the bridge underneath and move it around until the guitar played in tune. Plucking the strings to see how it sounded, I tightened them in rotation. Somewhere about half way to proper tuning I was struck soundly in the left forearm by the bridge at high velocity as it snapped off under the string tension. After the initial shock a closer examination showed that it wasn't the glue joint that broke, but that the top layer of wood on the tail end of the neck had peeled off and gone with the bridge on it's high velocity journey. After some contemplation I decided to put in some metal pins to assure the bridge would stay in place. I had some 3 sixteenths hardened steel rod from one of my previous projects and I cut two three quarter inch pieces, drilled the bridge and neck to fit them, filled the holes with glue and hammered them in. I put the strings back on the guitar and promptly broke the high E string, proving to myself that now, at least, the strings would break before the bridge would. Anyway, now it's done. It's quiet, though not as quiet as it seemed at first, and it sounds more like a banjo than a guitar, but the frets were placed well and it plays in tune. I just went with the first four strings of the guitar so it's E, B, G, D and I used nylon strings 'cause that's what I'm used to. I have a whole pile of ideas for the next one. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment